Ansible Education Consulting Ltd was established by David Lee in 2016 to build on his extensive experience of working on an employed and freelance basis with further education colleges and independent training providers in business development roles since 2000, including bid writing, subcontractor management and managing apprenticeship, other workplace and classroom-based training delivery.
To date, Ansible Education Consulting has supported providers to submit a wide range of successful tenders, including:
- Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) Register of Apprenticeship Training Providers (RoATP) – 2016-2019: 100% success rate under both the original and relaunched RoATP application processes
- ESFA procured Adult Education Budget (AEB) – 2017: Wrote successful bids for six providers, five of which were subsequently awarded contracts to deliver AEB-funded education and training and reviewed bids for two other providers, both of which were also awarded contracts
- ESFA apprenticeship delivery to non-levied employers – 2017: Wrote successful tenders for five providers, all of which were awarded contracts to deliver non-levied apprenticeships (cumulative value of over £2m) and reviewed successful tenders for two other providers, both of which were similarly awarded contracts
- ESFA European Social Fund (ESF) – 2018: Wrote successful Skills Support for the Unemployed, Skills Support for the Workforce and Skills Support for those that are NEET or at Risk of Becoming NEET tenders worth a total of £3.25m
- Department for Employment (DfE) Flexible Learning Fund – 2018: Wrote one of the 32 successful applications to deliver the Flexible Learning Fund
- DfE Institutes of Technology (IoTs) – 2018-2019: Wrote successful Stage 1 and Stage 2 tenders for a partnership of a further education college and university to establish an IoT
- Mayor of London’s Construction Academy (MCA) Quality Mark and Hub – 2018: Wrote successful applications for a London further education college to be accredited with the MCA Quality Mark and to set up an MCA Hub
- Greater London Authority devolved AEB – 2019: Supported seven providers to successfully bid to deliver GLA devolved AEB, including writing bids for five providers, and reviewing bids for two others equivalent to 24% of the total number of successful bids by Lot and 30% of total AEB funding awarded
- Liverpool City Region (LCR) devolved AEB – 2019: Supported an independent training provider to successfully bid to deliver LCR devolved AEB
- West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA) devolved AEB – 2019: Supported an independent training provider to successfully bid to deliver WMCA devolved AEB
- North of Tyne Combined Authority (NCTA) devolved AEB – 2020: Supported an independent training provider to successfully bid to deliver NCTA devolved AEB
- Greater Birmingham and Solihull LEP (GBSLEP) Open Call Investment Priority 1.1 ESF – 2019-21: Supported an independent training provider to submit two applications to support unemployed and economically inactive adults into employment worth a total of £2.5m
- GLA ESF Sector Skills – 2020: Supported an independent training provider to successfully apply to deliver GLA ESF Sector Skills provision, worth over £2m
- ESFA Traineeships – 2020: Two independent training providers supported to successfully apply to deliver Traineeships worth a total of £1.1m
- Sheffield City Region (SCR) devolved AEB – 2021: Supported an independent training provider to successfully bid to deliver SCR devolved AEB Framework with a score of over 98%
- Greater London Authority Good Work for All AEB – 2021: Supported an independent training provider to successfully bid to deliver GLA Good Work for All AEB provision
Prior to establishing Ansible Education Consulting, David’s notable bid writing successes include:
- 2000-2004: Over £5m Government Office and Learning and Skills Council (LSC) ESF contract value for a range of projects including supporting NEETs, family learning and workforce development
- 2005-2008: Over £7m LSC ESF and £250k Birmingham City Council Enterprising Communities ESF
- 2008-2010: £5.3m DWP Flexible Routeways ESF, 2.8m LSC Response to Redundancy ESF and 1.3m Young Person’s Guarantee amongst others
- 2011: £12m Skills Funding Agency (SFA) Skills Support for Redundancy and Skills Support for the Unemployed ESF
- 2012: £19m SFA Skills Support for the Workforce ESF and £2m London Councils ESF
- 2014: £2m SFA Skills Support for Work Programme Participants ESF
- 2016: £2.7m SFA NEET, Careers Education, Information Advice and Guidance and Basic English Language for the Unemployed ESF
In addition to the above, David has assisted various independent providers to successfully bid to prime providers to deliver over £4m of subcontracted classroom, workplace and apprenticeship delivery.
David’s bid writing takes full advantage of his BA (Hons) degree in English Language and Literature and Master of Philosophy in Canadian and American Studies, both from the University of Birmingham. He has worked in both public and private sectors, including the Manpower Services Commission (the precursor of the Education and Skills Funding Agency), Department of Employment, Collins COBUILD Ltd (a subsidiary of Harper Collins publishers), Birmingham City Council and five leading further education colleges.
Ansible Education Consulting takes its name from the Ansible, an instantaneous, faster than light communication device imagined by the wonderful, feminist, humanist and thought-provoking writer Ursula K. Le Guin (21 October, 1929 – 22 January, 2018) and featured in a number of her novels including The Left Hand of Darkness and The Dispossessed: an Ambiguous Utopia.